and Rabbi Feder's Office
Synagogue and former Jewish school
House No.126 was one of the most important buildings of Kolín ghetto since it served as a Jewish school until 1654. Its original medieval core is created by visually different left (south) side, which is decorated by late baroque facade from the second half of 18th century. After 1782 the original school building started to be used as Rabbi´s residence. In 1844-1846 a new classicist school building was added to this house in the place of a lane leading to the synagogue. This new annex forms the right (north) part of the complex. The commemorative plaque is located on the front of the house. The plaque commemorates more than 2 200 Jewish people deported during the Second World War from the area of Kolín 'oberlandrat'. Only 135 of them lived to see the end of the war.
The Synagogue is accessible through a passageway on the ground floor of this building. This Synagogue ranks among the oldest and most valuable sights of that kind in Bohemia. Its existence is recorded already before 1422, the early baroque look was defined by the reconstruction finished in 1696. In 1721 and 1815 the Synagogue was extended with annexes of lateral space. The Synagogue served its main purpose until the decline of Kolín Jewish community in 1953. The interior includes the preserved early baroque stucco decoration and shrine (aron ha-kodeš) from the end of 17th century.
Rabbi Feder's Office
Rabbi Feder's office was established in the building of the former Jewish school in Na Hradbách street. Apart from the working desk and the bookcase with Judaism literature, we can find there an exposition of service equipment.