Current Karolíny Světlé street and Na Hradbách street formed Jewish ghetto, recorded already in the second half of 14th century.
Former Jewish ghetto – houses in Karolíny Světlé street
Jewish houses originally started at the corner of Karolíny Světlé street and Na Hradbách street and reached the end of Zlatá lane. However, in the first half of 17th century Jews bought also originally Christian houses reaching as far as Kouřimská street. In the first quarter of 20th century almost all south half of the street was destroyed, thereby all the united look of this town part was disrupted. Afterwards, new buildings which sharply contrast with the surroundings were built in the place of the removed houses.
From the preserved historical buildings, a block of houses between Zlatá lane and Na Hradbách street attracts our attention. It is a quaint set of several parts which origins go back to 13th-14th century. Complicated financial relationships were caused by the fact that in the past more Jewish families lived in these houses together. These discrepancies reflected in unclear inner layout and not united look of fronts where decorative features of various architectural styles are present.
Other historically valuable houses are located in the eastern part of the street. These houses were owned by Christian citizens until the first half of 17th century and they kept a lot of remarkable details from late gothic, renaissance and baroque period.
Houses in Na Hradbách street
Jewish houses originally started from the corner of Karolíny Světlé street and Na Hradbách street reaching Pražská street, however, in the first half of 17th century Jewish people bought also originally Christian houses adjacent to the ghetto on the northern side.
Apart from the Synagogue and former Jewish school, we should not forget to mention house No.152, which is one of the biggest residential buildings in the Jewish ghetto. It was built in the first half of the 16th century on the place of an older building, the upper floor is lifted on a row of renaissance cantilevers. The portal bears the year 1734 in Hebrew. The neighbouring house No.153/154 has a baroque facade from the time after fire in 1734. In 1838 writer, technician and social philosopher Josef Popper-Lynkeus was born here. House No.124/125 attaches the opposite Jewish school, this house has kept its rococo facade look. Inside we can find a purification ritual bath (mikveh). All following houses as far as Pražská street contain medieval cores from 14th and 15th century. Their present-day look was defined by late baroque reconstructions after 1796 and alterations from 19th century and the first half of 20th century.